Friday, October 18, 2013

Fried Foods At Home

We're a fan of fried foods in our household.  We don't do it that often, but when we do we go crazy - mostly because we have a big pot of oil and it's not good to waste right? ;)

A family favorite are fries.  We usually bake it but, face it there's nothing like real fried fries.  And this time we even topped it with garlic, parsley and cheese - on the 'adult' side.  The kids had their side without the garlic.  Yum!!!


I don't think fried stuff is all that bad - just make sure your oil is a proper temperature so your food isn't just sitting there soaking up the oils.  Our foods usually comes up quite nice and not greezy at all.  If you can - invest in a thermometer.


What's that cooking in the oil?  Onion!  Not quite onion rings, but yummy none the less.  General recipe - season with dried garlic, salt and black pepper to taste.  Coat with flour, coat with egg white, and then with flour again (flour-egg-flour, let rest for a few minutes in between coatings).  I find that it works better if you like the first coating of flour sit for a while before applying the egg white.


Here's a new one for our household.  After numerous trips to Krispy Cremes doughnuts, we thought it might be fun to make some at home.  I didn't go for the 'from scratch' approach (shocking I know).  Instead, I saw this super quick and easy recipe HERE and thought it's worth a shot. Just break open a can of ready made biscuit dough, cut out of center and fry up.  Almost like cheating, it's so easy ;).


The hardest part of making the frosting, which I had the kids stir up while the doughnuts were frying

 
Okay these weren't as nearly as good as 'real' doughnuts but it wasn't bad for such a quick meal.  Will make again when the boys want a little treat as their breakfast.

5 comments:

Sara McConnell said...

I have actually read a lot of your blog posts in the last hour. I really enjoy what you are doing here. (And as a writer of fantasy novels, I'm enjoying looking at different aspects of that when you go through them in blog post). And truly, I love world-culture building. Thank's for recipis.

Vesta Wilson said...

I just tried this yummy recipe from your blog and it has come out really yummy!! :)
This is my first cake bake! and I am quite happy with the outcome...
Thanks for sharing this easy recipe :)

J. Morse said...

They look so delicious. Can you pls email me the recipe of the first photo. Thank in advance.

Jeremy B. Macgregor said...


Clear, informative, simple. Love your post!

Steve Puu said...

It is so delicious. Thank for sharing. I love doughnuts. I'm going to try it now

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...