Saturday, September 18, 2010

Squared: Knots!

Here's a sneak on the quilting process for Squared:

IMG_6885

Yep that's right I'm finally giving the tie quilting a shot. This quilt top consist of small 3" completed squares so I don't want to much quilting lines sewing and I've always wanted to knot a quilt :).

Start off by sewing in and out of the corner of each square, creating a figure 'X' on the back of the quilt. Continue with each corner until you reach the end of the row or you run out of thread:

IMG_6884

Next tie knots at each corner, cutting it about 1/3" - 1/2" after each knot.

I looked at a few methods online for ideas on how to make the knots. This is the final knot I decided to make - I'm not good with knot names so I drew up a diagram of what I did:

knot
Diagram of knot.  It's pretty much a Square knot, but instead of looping once, loop twice :).

Loop Once:
IMG_6887

Loop Twice:
IMG_6890

Voila! A knot!

IMG_6888

Repeat with all the corners until all of the blocks are knotted. I alternated each row with green and maroon thread (embroidery thread - 6 thread count).  Hopefully I could finish this up soon :).

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...