Saturday, October 30, 2010

The Green Gift Wrapping: Week 4 of the 12 Weeks of Christmas

Spreading some Holiday joy and being environmentally friendly could be a challenge sometimes.  If you have kids or just love presents during Christmas you are well aware of the massive amount of paper and plastics used to make those presents look extra special.  Well - why not wrap them with something reused or reusable and help reduce the amount of waste we put into the landfills each year?

Each year for the holidays, I try to do something Green and help do my part in preserving our planet's resources.  This year I'm re-purposing old Christmas cards and using odds and ends from my quilt scrap pile to create finishing touches on Christmas presents.

The Green Gift Tag - Re-purposed from an old Christmas card:
IMG_0027
Cut up those old Christmas cards.  They come with nice Christmas images all ready to be reused and enjoyed again.  Cut it to size and string with a ribbon.  Make sure the back has enough space for names.


Gift Wrap Made from Scrappy Fabrics - Completely Reusable for that special gift receiver:
IMG_0031_2
Perfect solution for a small gift.  Use those small pieces of fabrics lying around in your scrap box - a double present for fellow quilters and crafters - fabric to use and a present inside :).


Fabric Ribbon - Reducing the amount of 'New' material by using Fabric Scraps:
IMG_0023
A good way to use up scraps from the fabric scrapbox.  Use fabrics that have nice bold colors to add an extra pop to any present.  For this ribbon I used the 12 Days of Christmas Moda Charm Pack fabrics.

You could use these separately as an added green touch to any present, or use them ALL together to amaze your family and friends on how Green Christmas giving can be :).

IMG_0030

However you decide to celebrate the holidays this year, remember to be mindful of what you're using and where it ends up after being used. 

Thanks for visiting JAQS and I will be sharing these Green Holiday Ideas at THESE great sharing parties.

18 comments:

free indeed said...

I've been doing the Christmas cards as gift lables for years. My sister in law and I even have one card that we have used several years in a row back to each other by crossing off the name and resigning....we smile at it every year.

Ivory Spring said...

This is great!!!!

Jami said...

Great ideas...hope you'll stop by and share them at the Pretty Packages Party!
http://blackberryvine.blogspot.com/2010/10/pretty-packages-party-4.html
smiles!

Beth said...

awesome ideas. I have been saving random boxes, bags, fabric, etc. to use this holiday season. Should be an interesting look under our tree :-)

Elizabeth Dackson said...

What an awesome idea! Thank you for sharing!!

Marcie @ DWYH said...

Cute and unique gift covers... Love it :) !!!!

Maggie Lamarre said...

oooh i luv this unique packaging..

I am inviting you to come and link with us every Wednesday's, to our party so our reader can see your ART!
http://www.passionatelyartistic.com/2010/11/fall-grace-and-blowout-linky-party.html
Thanks
Maggie

Quiltstory said...

Such a cute idea! And the wrapping of the gift is way more important than I usually give it credit for! thanks for linking up! See you next week!

Julia said...

Oh, I LOVE your ribbons! What a cute way to use up scrap fabric. Thanks for sharing and giving me a great idea!

~Julia

Jill said...

Great ideas! I always try to have 'eco-wrapping' too. Sometimes I'll wrap gifts with other gifts - last year I wrapped a travel mug in a pair of boxer shorts (you coudn't even tell!) and I've wrapped gifts in fabric scarves too. I love the idea of furoshiki http://furoshiki.com/

I've decorated toilet paper rolls too! http://envirocraftiness.blogspot.com/2010/04/re-using-toilet-paper-rolls.html

From the Old InkWell said...

Great idea to use what you have!

Crafty Mommy Diva said...

Love the fabric ribbon idea! Thanks for linking up to Scrappy Saturdays.

Prairie Scraps said...

These look beautiful! I would love to have you link up to my Saving Christmas Party.

Kara Forristall said...

I love a good recycled project, this is just up my alley, I'm going to add a link to this "green" idea in my tutorials page and will surely be doing this myself this year! Thanks!!!

Aunt Spicy said...

So cute, it really looks great! I just wrapped some presents and used left over trims (pompoms/ricrac) as the ribbon!

Carla said...

This is right up my alley! It saves money and more personal. Thanks for sharing!

Anne K. said...

I've made fabric gift bags for years, but I like this idea of a traditional giftwrapping look, but just using the fabric instead. Nice post!

I also love the look of torn fabric strips for ribbon ties. So nice! Thanks for sharing!

Dayna said...

What a great idea!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...