Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Week 3 of the 12 Weeks of Christmas - Holiday Magnets

One of the things I struggle with every year is a good way to display Christmas cards.  In our first place we had a chimney mantle, the second place we had a staircase.  Current place: nothing.  Limited wall space, one story home and no mantle on our fireplace.  So what do I do with my cards this year?  What about the fridge?  YES!

So on with the next Christmas project: Holiday Magnets ... and course using my handy Charm pack of 12 Days of Christmas from Moda fabrics.

What about something like this? :)
IMG_0287

This is how I made this:
  1. Start with a packet of magnets. I got these at CVS Pharmacy a while back.  It has a nice round button top with a nice size magnet on the back.  $0.99 for 6.  Not bad :).
    IMG_0271
  2. Using double sided tape - or sticky thing you have around thing house - cover a good portion of the top with it.
    IMG_0276
  3. Pick a nice print that would fit on top of the magnet button and place the tape side down on the WRONG side of the fabric
    IMG_0272
  4. Cut around the magnet button about 3/5" - this on your magnet button.  You want to make sure you could wrap it around the button without covering the magnet on the other side.
    IMG_0278
  5. Using a hot glue gun, squeeze some hot glue on the wrong side of the button and fold the fabric over.  Go around the whole button, carefully folding over a little bit of the fabric at a time - making sure the glue holds it nice and tight.
    IMG_0282

    Completed:
    IMG_0284

IMG_0290

There you have it - a nice little holiday touch to a plain little magnet.  Right now it's being used by my little boys as play chips, magnets for their play fridge and ... hmmm now it's gone... hopefully I'll find it again when we start getting Christmas cards :P.  I'm going to get some more magnets so I could get at least a dozen of these going by Christmas time.

Here's the first 4 I made:

IMG_0292

Can't wait to do more of this...once I get some more glue for my glue gun - again I blame my kids for 'misplacing' them :P.

IMG_0291_1

Thanks for stopping by and I hope you find creative ways to show off your Christmas cards this year.

See more of the 12 WEEKS of Christmas Projects - links also available on the top left corner of this blog :).





Week 2: Holiday - Family Pillow
Week 1: Holiday Napkins




I'll be sharing this little creation at this wonderful Linking Parties.

18 comments:

Robin Ange said...

Thank you so much for linking up to The T-Shirt Diaries Upcycled Awesome.I need to get cracking on christmas!

Cristie said...

Love the buttons. Thanks for sharing. Have a lovely week.

Anonymous said...

What a brilliant idea! You are very kind sharing this idea and your excellent instructions today-thank you!

Best wishes,
Natasha.

Ivory Spring said...

These are super cute - what a great idea!

Anonymous said...

those are so cute! What a great idea!!

April J Harris said...

Excellent idea - these are perfect for displaying Christmas cards and oh so cute!

Anonymous said...

wow these are so cute! I just got a big stash of vintage craps from a sale and think this would be perfect!

New follower from tidymom, have a great weekend!

Jen said...

These are super cute! :0)

Sandy Ang said...

Thanks for the tutorial. Got to try making some !

Terrell said...

Loving these girly!! So glad you shared them at my party - Fabulous Friday Finds!! They'd make great gifts..like a set of 4 for coworkers *jotting this idea down :)* Thanks again sweetie!
~Terrell @ Frou Frou Decor~

Nike@ChooseToThrive said...

So simple and cute - I love this idea and am excited to try it year-round. Thanks!

Envymycooking said...

Great blog just found it through links! If you would ever like new recipes or want share you own...please become a follower and email us.. we love to feature people!

Denise said...

Linked up from M.M.M day at C.R.A.F.T.S. Love your holiday magnets. I make them with marbles and decopage, but LOVE this idea. Love the fabric you used.
Blessings,
Denise@junkdogdesign.blogspot.com

Jen @ EmbellishingLifeEveryday said...

Those are cute! :) Perfect festive touch!
http://embellishinglifeeveryday.blogspot.com/

CraftyMummy said...

Great idea and so easy! They look really cute.

CREATIVE KHADIJA said...

awesome blog,nice work..keep it upppppp dear...tutorial is really smart...

Crafty Mommy Diva said...

Too cute and affordable little craft.

Taylor-Ann said...

I loved your madnets so I featured them today on my blog...hop on over.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...