Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Halloween Costumes Continues: Trick or Treat Bags

To accompany the boys' Halloween costumes as Superman and Batman I decided to put together these:

IMG_0128_1

Their very own Superman and Batman Trick-or-Treat bags of course :).

The idea started when I was at Target over the weekend and ran into these cute little trick or treat bags:
IMG_0070
Unfortunately I didn't get good shots pre-modification. One is a spider modif and the other a cat.

Cute but doesn't match the boys' costumes ... but for $1 a piece and knowing that I'll have to make them SOME sort of bag I decided to get them anyways.  That's what extra felt and some creativity is for right? :P


So remember these extra Superman and Batman felt patches from the cape?
IMG_0068

They will be put into good use after all. A quick little picture tutorial of what I did to make the patches (I mixed pictures from the Batman and Superman patches to show each patch in progress):
  1. Use parchment paper and trace logo from a t-shirt or other source.
  2. Pin along - but NOT directly - on the traced lines onto the felt
    IMG_6713
  3. Cut along lines
    IMG_6719
  4. Do this for both the colors for each patch accordingly
    IMG_6720
  5. Then pin the top colors (red for Superman, yellow for Batman), on top of the bottom colors (yellow for Superman, black for Batman)
    IMG_6716
  6. Blanket stitch along all edges where the top edge covers the bottom piece
    IMG_0131

As for the bags, I just took scissors and some good ol' fashioned muscles then off comes the little spider and cat - leaving plain black bags. There was some remnants I couldn't remove but the patches covered it right up.

Once the bags were ready, I stitched the patches straight on each one and voila! Easy-peasy Trick or Treat bags for my Superman and Batman:
IMG_0142

Perfect size openings on top for both my little guys - haha Oh I do wish they get healthy treats like these when the day comes :P -
IMG_0139

Happy TRICK or TREATING!

I am sharing this project with these fun linking parties :).

16 comments:

Ivory Spring said...

These are way cute, Q! I hope you are saving them as keepsakes for your boys after they are done with them on Halloween.

Unknown said...

Awesome job on those! Great thinking just covering up those $1 target bags

More Than "Just Mom" said...

love them! My little man is a superhero-fanatic too, so I actually made him a batman bag this year too!
http://amijustmom.blogspot.com/2010/09/halloween-bags-and-giveaway.html

Anonymous said...

These are so cute. What a great addition to your kids' costumes! I hope you'll come link these up to my Halloween party this weekend. whilehewasnapping.blogspot.com

Krista

Sara @ Sew Sweetness said...

Awesome!! My kids would love those!

Courtney said...

Oh my, these are so stinkin' CUTE! Your little guys must have been so excited! Thanks for linking up to Crazy Cute at Between U & Me! I hope to see you again next week! :D

Beloved's Redheaded Bride said...

Extremely Cute.

Terrell said...

These are seriously precious!! Way to go, girly! I'm so excited to be your newest follower of your delightful blog and I'd love to have you as a friend at Frou Frou Decor! Be sure to link up your sweet creations at my weekly link party, every Friday! Hope to see you there!
Hugs,
~Terrell @ Frou Frou Decor~

Katie @ This Chick Cooks said...

What a great idea. Its so nice to come across ideas for little boys. My little boy is (probable)going to be batman and I may have to do this to match his costume I already made.

Sweet European Dreams said...

I absolutely love these and I should (fingers crossed) have the time to get some done for my monkeys, prior to Halloween! -diane

Restorative Living said...

Wow, lots of work and so worth it! Super cute!! Great idea!

the cape on the corner said...

wow, what a great idea! the perfect trick or treat bag.

www.thecapeonthecorner.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

So cute!! Pretty awesome what you can get at Target for so cheap. I need to get a trick or treat bag for the Munchkins. You got my wheels turning....:-)

Katie @SwimBikeQuilt said...

Here from quiltstory. These are AWESOME!

Quiltstory said...

Thanks these are great halloween bags. Love them. Thanks for linking to quiltstory!

Rachel@AllFreeHolidayCrafts said...

I can't get over how cute these are! I'd love to link to your tutorial from my site: www.allfreeholidaycrafts.com

Let me know if that would be okay with you.

Thanks!
Rachel

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...