Saturday, October 30, 2010

Sweet Blocks For Quilt Festival

One of my favorite quilts this year is the Sweet Blocks quilt I made a couple of months ago posted here.

IMG_6500
Here's the completed Sweet Blocks sitting sweet after a tumble in the washer and dyer.

A few things about this quilt stood about this quilt -
  • It was my first time using triangles in a quilt
  • The color scheme - bright colors that are a bit more 'girly' than I'm used to 
  • Finding the quilting pattern for this quilt was the most difficult part for me.  I finally settled for straight lines with some definition
  • It's my husband's favorite quilt this year :)
Those reasons and the fact that I too love this quilt is why I'm sharing it on Amy's Creative Side's Bloggers Quilt Festival:
Amy's Creative Side - Blogger's Quilt Festival


Here's some snippets from the original post:

Here's a closeup and the reason why the decision on 'how-to-quilt' took so long:
IMG_6515
I've never made a quilt with triangular shapes before. It took a lot of work getting all the triangular corners just right so I didn't want the quilting to distract from it or take away from it. 


I finally decided to do simple straight line quilting from one end of the quilt to the end with both the width and the length: along each seam going along the exterior of each block and 2 side-by-side lines x 2 down for each block area.  The results was a very modern, clean quilt with just enough details but not too much to distract from from the fabric and blocks.
IMG_6565
Here is the quilt top that you could see quilting in action.  If you look closely you could see that on each block there are 2 double stitches that goes down and across.



Another view of the front by the window.  Love this shot because it really shows the true colors of the quilt:
IMG_6540

For the binding I used a striped fabric - sorry I don't recall the name unfortunately.  I was a little hesitant to use it since it was so bright but when it was put next to the quilt it worked out just fine :).   The colors matched up wonderfully with the playful colors of the blocks.
IMG_6544

A peak of the front, back and binding together:
IMG_6558

I love this quilt.  It's not in the scope of colors that I usually use, but sometimes it's nice to step out of the comfort zone right? :)

Nope, this quilt does not have a home yet but it is not for sale either.  I may work on another one to put up on Etsy but for now this will have to be the only one.

IMG_6538


Quilt Information:
Sweet Blocks
Front: 100% Cotton Prints (Keiki) and Solids (Moda)
Batting: Warm & Natural 100% cotton
Backing: Same materials as the front
Completed Dimension: 44.5″x 62″
Quilting Method: Machine Quilt Straight Stitches
Binding: Machine Sew to Front and Hand Sew to Back

11 comments:

lindsay said...

Great quilt! I love the little triangles, they are so perfect! Great way to quilt it as well, so you didnt take away from them! Thanks for sharing!

Linda said...

This is a beautiful quilt! I really like the little triangles and the striped binding. Love the straight line quilting too!

Leslie said...

i love it...the little triangles really set off those blocks and you did awesome quilting.

Aunt Spicy said...

totally love how you quilted it, what a great quilt!

BaileyGirl5 said...

I love the quilting! I'm ready to baste a quilt now and I think I'll try this design. Beautiful quilt!

Kristie said...

Very pretty!

Elizabeth D. said...

So pretty, and so aptly named! I really love the binding, too :)

Ivory Spring said...

Sweet quilt indeed - perfect for the season.

Christine said...

Cute quilt and perfect binding fabric!

Jennie said...

Cute, I like your fabric choice and quilting!

Carolyn said...

What fun fabrics! I love the way it came out!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...