Saturday, March 27, 2010

My Hand-Quilted Quilt

One of my favorite quilts of all time is an all hand-quilted twin size blanket I made a little while back. Why do I like it so much? Number one reason - hand quilting. Even though it was a simple double parallel quilt stitch against all the seams, the hand-quilting gave this quilt the most amazing feel. I enjoyed every stitch of it - even when my hands were tired and my fingers got poked for the God-Knows all many times. I wish I had more time to hand quilt each blanket I make, but unfortunately I do not. I hope to maybe hand-quilt one item A YEAR using the hand-quilting method. I do hand-sew the binding back of all my quilts - even the machine quilted ones.

Here's a few pictures of my hand-quilted quilt that I started at the end 2009 and finished early 2010 - the whole process took about 2.5 months.

IMG_3312
I used an earthy color palette of greens, browns, and whites.

I machine pieced the top together, manually sandwich the layers together, basted it with red string, then ran parallel stiching about and 1/8" on each side of all the seems. This created a very discrete quilt top, showing off all the patterns of the fabric and minimal quilting distractions. The back of the quilt was very simple but elegant with parrallel straight lines creating a nice clean look. As with all my quilts I machine sew the front the binding on to the top of the quilt and hand-sew the back of the binding to the back of the quilt.


IMG_3313
A closer view of the quilt.  Notice the simple double line quilting along the backing - which was an all white muslin cloth. 

IMG_3324
Another view of the quilt - close-up.



Quilt Info:
Line-Square Simplicity (1)
Front: 100% Cotton Print Fabrics
Batting: 50/50 Bamboo & Cotton
Backing: 100% Cotton Muslim 108"
Completed Dimension: 72"x88"
Quilting Method: Hand-Quilting, straight double lines
Binding: Machine Sew to Front and Hand Sew to Back

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...