Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Borders & Stripes: COMPLETED!

I am so happy with the results of this quilt - actually it may be my favorite thus far. It's been months in the making but now, it is mine to use. Borders and Stripes is now complete!

These photos were taken right after the quilt went through a quick wash and dried. It's as puffy and wrinkly as it'll ever get :). Actually I couldn't get good photos due to lack of space and since this quilt was pretty big (75" x 80"). Hopefully I got enough shots to show off this quilt.

Borders and Stripes laying pretty after the wash and dry cycle:



I was trying to get a good casual shot of the quilt while all the wrinkles and crinkles were still fresh. Check out how nice the quilt pockets are after a run in the dryer. Love it. It's only like this for a couple of hours then it flattens slightly into more subtle quilt pockets - still pretty but just not as puffy.

My favorite part of the quilt? The countless hours of hand-quilting around each of the flower, leaf, and stem. It really created a nice old-fashioned look to the already gorgeous flower pattern. The hand quilting made the flowers pop even more in my opinion - it gave it personality :). Here's a closeup of the hand quilting along with each flower - steam - and leaf - and yes I was very relieved when I finished the last flower:



I love the hand quilted look so much for this quilt I decided to hand quilt straight stitch lines on each of the other fabrics to match the hand quilting for the flowers. The result? Nice straight hand quilting lines that complements the quilt:



Not the greatest of pictures but you could see the straight brown lines on the off-white and brown patterned fabrics. For the brown solid fabrics I did the opposite and used off-white thread. This gave the solids more definition and it complements the floral border fabric very nicely.

One of the hardest thing to do with a larger quilt is to photograph it! We have a lot of pine needles outside due to high winds we've been having so else I would've shot this outdoors where there's more room. But unfortunately I had to make do with photographing this indoors. OK, enough complaining - back to the quilt. Here's the best I could do to show off the complete quilt top:



You could see how I alternated the patterned and solid colors. The yellow-brown strip is actually a subtle patterned fabric. This photo really doesn't show off how well the colors go together, but you could get a look at how the overall designed worked out. The only thing I will change is I wish I had some colors with more blue in it to go with the flowers more.

A look at the back of the quilt - consist of 5 strips of off-white and dark brown solids. I couldn't get a good shot of just the back so this is a back and front view actually :):



I really like all the crinkles from the back. You could make out the floral outline very well and the spacing of the straight stitches were just enough to create a very cozy back without being too busy.


So who's the lucky owner of this quilt? ME! I realized that I haven't made a quilt for myself yet and this is definitely one that I would cherish for a very long time.

Quilt Info:
Borders & Stripes
Front: 100% Cotton Prints and Solids
Batting: Warm & Natural 100% cotton
Backing: Solids (Off-White & Dark Brown Moda Fabrics)
Completed Dimension: 75″x 80″
Quilting Method: Machine Quilt long the lines then Hand-Quilt for all decorative stitching (~90%).
Binding: Machine Sew to Front and Hand Sew to Back



I'm sharing this on:



giveaways


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...