Friday, April 16, 2010

Going Through the Scrapbox

My scrap-box (aka the little brown box of leftovers) was getting a little crowded and I needed break from making big quilts.  So I emptied the box the examine the loot.  Here is what I found.

IMG_3864
A nice pile of fabrics - ranges to about 3" to 10" pieces.  


Find that there were two main color themes in the scrap pile - light colored (whites, beiges, pinks) and earth colors (browns, reds, greens).  So I went ahead and divided up the piles first to evaluate what I have.  Turns out I have a lot of earth tones, so I decided to work with those.  Still not really knowing what I'm going to do with these scraps, I forged ahead and cut two sizes - 2.5" strips and 2" strips.

IMG_3888
2.5" cuts on the left, 2" cuts on the right.

 The piles were done and I still have no idea what I'm going to make out of it, but I did know I wanted to keep it simple and small - I didn't have that much scraps.  So I decided to make a scrappy-strip pillow top.  I didn't really want to start measuring since this project as been so improv, I didn't want to start ruining that dynamic.

I decided to use the 2" cuts to make the pillow top - have no idea how many, or how big.  With no plan in mind, I decided to start assembling the 2" cuts to see how much fabric I actually have.

Assembling the 2" strips in chains.  Start with chaining together 2 pieces each.  Then cut the strings, then chain the chains together.  Keep doing this until you have one big giant piece.  Turned out I had about 14 yards of 2" pieces after it's pieced.

IMG_3892
The chain.

IMG_3894
Chaining the chains.

The results of hours of cutting and sewing and pressing.
IMG_3896
The pieced 2" strip.  Ended up to be about 14 yards of fabric :).

Next I'll have to decided how big of a pillow top I want to make :P.  Hopefully I get more than one pillow out of this exercise. 



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...